1. But perhaps someone will say that this is said to be unwritten and it is not possible to know if Daniel saw an angel and cried out, “I am innocent of this woman’s blood.”8
2. If you wait a little, O man, Daniel himself will teach you!
3. “For after the people heard the voice and were amazed, Daniel9 answered them, ‘Are you so dull, sons of Israel? Having not examined, nor discovered what is clear, you condemn a daughter of Israel? And now return to the place of judgment, for they have falsely-testified lies against her.’ And the people turned back with haste.”1 But the lawless ones, jeered at Daniel and set him at naught, as just a young boy, not seeing the power of the Word in him, but the people2
considered and said, “Come sit in the midst of us and explain this to us because God has given to you the presbytery.”3
4. He said, “‘Separate them a great distance from one another and I will interrogate them.’ When they were separated, one from the other, and after summoning one elder, he said to him ‘You are decrepit with wicked days; now your sins, which you did formerly, have arrived, you who propound4 unrighteous judgments and condemn the innocent, but free the guilty, though the Lord says, ‘The innocent and righteous you shall not kill.’5 And so now if you you did indeed see her, tell me, under what tree did you see them having relations with one another?’ He said, ‘Under the Mastic tree.’ But Daniel said, ‘You have lied directly upon your own head. For already the angel of God has come, taking the sentence from God to cut you in half.’”6
5. And so Daniel interrogated him and he utterly destroyed him. For when he said, “Already the angel of God has come taking the sentence from God to cut you in half.”7 It is clear that when Susannah prayed to God and was heard, then the angel was sent out to help8 her.
6. In which manner also happened to Tobit and Sarah1. For they, after praying, in the same hour and the same day the entreaty of the two was heard and the angel Raphael was sent out to cure the two.
7. And so in this way Scripture foretold through the prophet Amos to the house of Israel saying, “If the Lord God does a deed2 will he not reveal it first to his slaves the prophets?”3
The vision occurred to Daniel and the Holy Spirit was awakened in him, so that after the examination
which was performed by him occurred the angel slayed them as wicked false-witnesses.