1. “And he raised me from my knees and said to me, ‘Daniel cherished man, understand in the words which I myself will speak to you and stand up in your place because now I am sent to you.’ And when he spoke this word I stood trembling and he said to me, ‘Do not be afraid Daniel because from the first day which you gave your heart to understand and to be afflicted before God, your words were heard.’”5
2. Behold, how strong the piety of the righteous man, so that the future things which have not yet been manifested in this world6, are revealed to the worthy alone.
3. First he was made to understand by the angel Gabriel, then secondly, by the Lord himself he was made wise.
4. For he spoke in this way, “And I saw, and behold, as an appearance of a son of man he touched me.”7 And so at first he said, “as the hand of a man,”1 but now he says, “as an appearance of a son of man,” so that at first it was partially shown to him, but secondly the whole human nature2 was put on and shown to him.
5. For the Word of God in the figure of a man is proclaimed as a man and is displayed in the world as an incarnate man, though not yet then being a son of man. But when the fullness of time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, so that the Son of God may put on manhood3 from the Virgin and may be demonstrated as being the Son of God and the Son of Man.
6. “And he opened,” he says, “my mouth and I spoke to him who stood before me, ‘Lord in your appearance my insides were turned within me and I have no strength,’”4 for it it is necessary that the advent of the Lord happened upon the
people above and below, so that those below may be able to
come to those above.5
7. “And he came close,” he says, “and he touched me as an appearance of a man and he strengthened me and he said to me, ‘Do not fear cherished man. Peace to you, be strong like a man.’”6 For when all the strength and glory of our life is ended, then we are empowered by the outstretched hand of Christ, who also raises us as the living from the dead and as from Hades to the resurrection of life.