1. And now I say unto you, my sons, love righteousness and walk therein;For the paths of righteousness are worthy of acceptation,But the paths of unrighteousness shall suddenly be destroyed and vanish.
2. And to certain men of a generation shall the paths of violence and of death be revealed,And they shall hold themselves afar from them,And shall not follow them.
3. And now I say unto you the righteous:Walk not in the paths of wickedness, nor in the paths of death,And draw not nigh to them, lest ye be destroyed.
4. But seek and choose for yourselves righteousness and an elect life,And walk in the paths of peace,And ye shall live and prosper.
5. And hold fast my words in the thoughts of your hearts,And suffer them not to be effaced from your hearts;For I know that sinners will tempt men to evilly-entreat wisdom,So that no place may be found for her,And no manner of temptation may minish.
- Woes for the Sinners.
6. Woe to those who build unrighteousness and oppressionAnd lay deceit as a foundation;For they shall be suddenly overthrown,And they shall have no peace.
7. Woe to those who build their houses with sin;For from all their foundations shall they be overthrown,And by the sword shall they fall.[And those who acquire gold and silver in judgement suddenly shall perish.]
8. Woe to you, ye rich, for ye have trusted in your riches,And from your riches shall ye depart,Because ye have not remembered the Most High in the days of your riches.
9. Ye have committed blasphemy and unrighteousness,And have become ready for the day of slaughter,And the day of darkness and the day of the great judgement.
10. Thus I speak and declare unto you:He who hath created you will overthrow you,And for your fall there shall be no compassion,And your Creator will rejoice at your destruction.
11. And your righteous ones in those days shall beA reproach to the sinners and the godless.
- Enoch's Grief: fresh Woes against the Sinners.
1. Oh that mine eyes were [a cloud of] watersThat I might weep over you,And pour down my tears as a cloud †of† waters:That so I might rest from my trouble of heart!
2. †Who has permitted you to practice reproaches and wickedness?And so judgement shall overtake you, sinners. †
3. Fear not the sinners, ye righteous;For again will the Lord deliver them into your hands,That ye may execute judgement upon them according to your desires.
4. Woe to you who fulminate anathemas which cannot be reversed:Healing shall therefore be far from you because of your sins.
5. Woe to you who requite your neighbour with evil;For ye shall be requited according to your works.
6. Woe to you, lying witnesses,And to those who weigh out injustice,For suddenly shall ye perish.
7. Woe to you, sinners, for ye persecute the righteous;For ye shall be delivered up and persecuted because of injustice,And heavy shall its yoke be upon you.
- Grounds of Hopefulness for the Righteous: Woes for the Wicked.
1. Be hopeful, ye righteous; for suddenly shall the sinners perish before you,And ye shall have lordship over them according to your desires.
[2. And in the day of the tribulation of the sinners,Your children shall mount and rise as eagles,And higher than the vultures will be your nest,And ye shall ascend and enter the crevices of the earth,And the clefts of the rock for ever as coneys before the unrighteous,And the sirens shall sigh because of you-and weep.]
3. Wherefore fear not, ye that have suffered;For healing shall be your portion,And a bright light shall enlighten you,And the voice of rest ye shall hear from heaven.
4. Woe unto you, ye sinners, for your riches make you appear like the righteous,But your hearts convict you of being sinners,And this fact shall be a testimony against you for a memorial of (your) evil deeds.
5. Woe to you who devour the finest of the wheat,And drink wine in large bowls,And tread under foot the lowly with your might.
6. Woe to you who drink water from every fountain,For suddenly shall ye be consumed and wither away,Because ye have forsaken the fountain of life.
7. Woe to you who work unrighteousnessAnd deceit and blasphemy:It shall be a memorial against you for evil.
8. Woe to you, ye mighty,Who with might oppress the righteous;For the day of your destruction is coming. In those days many and good days shall come to the righteous--in the day of your judgement.
- The Evils in Store for Sinners and the Possessors of unrighteous Wealth.
1. Believe, ye righteous, that the sinners will become a shameAnd perish in the day of unrighteousness.
2. Be it known unto you (ye sinners) that the Most High is mindful of your destruction,And the angels of heaven rejoice over your destruction.
3. What will ye do, ye sinners,And whither will ye flee on that day of judgement,When ye hear the voice of the prayer of the righteous?
4. Yea, ye shall fare like unto them,Against whom this word shall be a testimony:"Ye have been companions of sinners."
5. And in those days the prayer of the righteous shall reach unto the Lord,And for you the days of your judgement shall come.
6. And all the words of your unrighteousness shall be read out before the Great Holy One,And your faces shall be covered with shame,And He will reject every work which is grounded on unrighteousness.
7. Woe to you, ye sinners, who live on the mid ocean and on the dry land,Whose remembrance is evil against you.
8. Woe to you who acquire silver and gold in unrighteousness and say:"We have become rich with riches and have possessions;And have acquired everything we have desired.
9. And now let us do what we purposed:For we have gathered silver,9d And many are the husbandmen in our houses."9e And our granaries are (brim) full as with water,
10 Yea and like water your lies shall flow away;For your riches shall not abideBut speedily ascend from you;For ye have acquired it all in unrighteousness,And ye shall be given over to a great curse.
- Self-indulgence of Sinners: Sin originated by Man: all Sin recorded in Heaven: Woes for the Sinners.
1. And now I swear unto you, to the wise and to the foolish,For ye shall have manifold experiences on the earth.
2. For ye men shall put on more adornments than a woman,And coloured garments more than a virgin:In royalty and in grandeur and in power,And in silver and in gold and in purple,And in splendour and in food they shall be poured out as water.
3. Therefore they shall be wanting in doctrine and wisdom,And they shall perish thereby together with their possessions;And with all their glory and their splendour,And in shame and in slaughter and in great destitution,Their spirits shall be cast into the furnace of fire.
4. I have sworn unto you, ye sinners, as a mountain has not become a slave,And a hill does not become the handmaid of a woman,Even so sin has not been sent upon the earth,But man of himself has created it,And under a great curse shall they fall who commit it.
5. And barrenness has not been given to the woman,But on account of the deeds of her own hands she dies without children.
6. I have sworn unto you, ye sinners, by the Holy Great One,That all your evil deeds are revealed in the heavens,And that none of your deeds of oppression are covered and hidden.
7. And do not think in your spirit nor say in your heart that ye do not know and that ye do not see that every sin is every day recorded in heaven in the presence of the Most High. 8. From henceforth ye know that all your oppression wherewith ye oppress is written down every day till the day of your judgement.
9. Woe to you, ye fools, for through your folly shall ye perish: and ye transgress against the wise, and so good hap shall not be your portion. 10. And now, know ye that ye are prepared for the day of destruction: wherefore do not hope to live, ye sinners, but ye shall depart and die; for ye know no ransom; for ye are prepared for the day of the great judgement, for the day of tribulation and great shame for your spirits.
11. Woe to you, ye obstinate of heart, who work wickedness and eat blood:Whence have ye good things to eat and to drink and to be filled? From all the good things which the Lord the Most High has placed in abundance on the earth; therefore ye shall have no peace.
12. Woe to you who love the deeds of unrighteousness: wherefore do ye hope for good hap unto yourselves? know that ye shall be delivered into the hands of the righteous, and they shall cut off your necks and slay you, and have no mercy upon you. 13. Woe to you who rejoice in the tribulation of the righteous; for no grave shall be dug for you. 14. Woe to you who set at nought the words of the righteous; for ye shall have no hope of life. 15. Woe to you who write down lying and godless words; for they write down their lies that men may hear them and act godlessly towards (their) neighbour. 16. Therefore they shall have no peace but die a sudden death.
- Woes pronounced on the Godless, the Lawbreakers: evil Plight of Sinners in the last Days: further Woes.
1. Woe to you who work godlessness,And glory in lying and extol them:Ye shall perish, and no happy life shall be yours.
2. Woe to them who pervert the words of uprightness,And transgress the eternal law,And transform themselves into what they were not [into sinners]:They shall be trodden under foot upon the earth.
3. In those days make ready, ye righteous, to raise your prayers as a memorial,And place them as a testimony before the angels,That they may place the sin of the sinners for a memorial before the Most High.
4. In those days the nations shall be stirred up,And the families of the nations shall arise on the day of destruction.
5. And in those days the destitute shall go forth and carry off their children,And they shall abandon them, so that their children shall perish through them:Yea, they shall abandon their children (that are still) sucklings, and not return to them,And shall have no pity on their beloved ones.
6. And again I swear to you, ye sinners, that sin is prepared for a day of unceasing bloodshed. 7. And they who worship stones, and grave images of gold and silver and wood 〈and stone〉 and clay, and those who worship impure spirits and demons, and all kinds of idols not according to knowledge, shall get no manner of help from them.
8. And they shall become godless by reason of the folly of their hearts,And their eyes shall be blinded through the fear of their heartsAnd through visions in their dreams.9. Through these they shall become godless and fearful;For they shall have wrought all their work in a lie,And shall have worshiped a stone:Therefore in an instant shall they perish.
10. But in those days blessed are all they who accept the words of wisdom, and understand them,And observe the paths of the Most High, and walk in the path of His righteousness,And become not godless with the godless;For they shall be saved.
11. Woe to you who spread evil to your neighbours;For you shall be slain in Sheol.12. Woe to you who make deceitful and false measures,And (to them) who cause bitterness on the earth;For they shall thereby be utterly consumed.
13. Woe to you who build your houses through the grievous toil of others,And all their building materials are the bricks and stones of sin;I tell you ye shall have no peace.
14. Woe to them who reject the measure and eternal heritage of their fathersAnd whose souls follow after idols;For they shall have no rest.
15. Woe to them who work unrighteousness and help oppression,And slay their neighbours until the day of the great judgement.
16. For He shall cast down your glory,And bring affliction on your hearts,And shall arouse His fierce indignation,And destroy you all with the sword;And all the holy and righteous shall remember your sins.
- The Sinners destroy each other: Judgement of the fallen Angels: the Safety of the Righteous:
further Woes for the Sinners.
1. And in those days in one place the fathers together with their sons shall be smittenAnd brothers one with another shall fall in deathTill the streams flow with their blood.
2 .For a man shall not withhold his hand from slaying his sons and his sons' sons,And the sinner shall not withhold his hand from his honoured brother:From dawn till sunset they shall slay one another.
3. And the horse shall walk up to the breast in the blood of sinners,And the chariot shall be submerged to its height.
4 In those days the angels shall descend into the secret placesAnd gather together into one place all those who brought down sinAnd the Most High will arise on that day of judgementTo execute great judgement amongst sinners.
5. And over all the righteous and holy He will appoint guardians from amongst the holy angelsTo guard them as the apple of an eye,Until He makes an end of all wickedness and all sin,And though the righteous sleep a long sleep, they have nought to fear.
6. And (then) the children of the earth shall see the wise in security,And shall understand all the words of this book,And recognize that their riches shall not be able to save themIn the overthrow of their sins.
7. Woe to you, Sinners, on the day of strong anguish,Ye who afflict the righteous and burn them with fire:Ye shall be requited according to your works.
8. Woe to you, ye obstinate of heart,Who watch in order to devise wickedness:Therefore shall fear come upon youAnd there shall be none to help you.
9. Woe to you, ye sinners, on account of the words of your mouth,And on account of the deeds of your hands which your godlessness as wrought,In blazing flames burning worse than fire shall ye burn.
10 And now, know ye that from the angels He will inquire as to your deeds in heaven, from the sun and from the moon and from the stars in reference to your sins because upon the earth ye execute judgement on the righteous. 11. And He will summon to testify against you every cloud and mist and dew and rain; for they shall all be withheld because of you from descending upon you, and they shall be mindful of your sins. 12. And now give presents to the rain that it be not withheld from descending upon you, nor yet the dew, when it has received gold and silver from you that it may descend. 13. When the hoar-frost and snow with their chilliness, and all the snow-storms with all their plagues fall upon you, in those days ye shall not be able to stand before them.